The Medina Township Board of Trustees Monthly Meeting
Wednesday, July 12, 2023
Purpose: Regularly Scheduled Board Meeting
Present: Shawn Garner, Supervisor
Cam Parr, Trustee
Cindy Greene, Trustee
Mike Molohon, Trustee
Other Officials and Township Staff Present:
Frank Sturm II, Road Commissioner
Others In Attendance: 2 Residents
Call To Order: Supervisor Shawn Garner called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm
Approval of Minutes: Supervisor Garner presented the minutes from the Road District Budget Hearing meeting held on June 14, 2023. Cindy Greene made a motion to approve the minutes. Cam Parr seconded. The minutes were approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Supervisor Garner presented the minutes from the Township Budget Hearing meeting held on June 14, 2023. Cindy Greene made a motion to approve the minutes. Cam Parr seconded. The minutes were approved by a unanimous voice vote
Supervisor Garner presented the minutes from the regular board meeting held on June 14, 2023. Shawn made a motion to approve the minutes. Cam Parr seconded. The minutes were approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Community Policing Report:
Supervisor Garner gave the report for June 2023. There were 58 reports made involving 21 reports of 11 original reports of crimes along with 49 traffic. Please remember to lock your cars.
Public Input: None
Old Business: None
Consider, discuss, and vote on Medina Park Agreements and Certificates of lnsurance
(Mossville School): Supervisor presented Park Agreement from IVC along with the Certificate of Insurance (COI). Supervisor Garner made a motion to approve park agreement with IVC. Cindy Green seconded. The motion was approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Consider, discuss, and vote on grant application from CNA: We received a grant request from the Community Needs Agency for $1,000 in order to help with school supplies and backpacks for low–income families in the IVC school district. We have budgeted money for this. Shawn Garner made a motion to grant this request. It was seconded by Cindy Greene. A roll call vote was taken: Shawn – Aye, Cindy – Aye, Mike – Aye, Cam -Aye. The motion carries.
Oath of elected official from Luke Harvey: Supervisor Garner swore in newly appointed Township
Trustee Luke Harvey for the reminder of Frank Gerke’s term which began on May 17, 2021.
Supervisor Shawn Garner:
- Investment Report: the report ending on July 12 was previously presented to the board.
- There are no General Assistance cases.
- There is 1 case before the Plan Commission. ZBA-2023-0034 – variance for fence gate at 7 feet
- The fill at the adjoining property which is potential site for township office necessitated a silt fence. Stark installed silt fence for $2,693.25. Will ask for approval to pay bill.
- Hjerpe & Tennison is completing regular yearly audit per state statute.
Road Commissioner: Frank Sturm
- Getting ready to put the pavement maintenance project out for bid. The overlay of the ballpark, parking lot and access road is included. Discussed cost, crack repairs, striping and lettering. Board agreed with ¾ binder when paving lot after 10/01/23 and striping in spring of 2024.
- Started mowing Monday.
- We removed several fallen trees in last week’s storms.
- Met with homeowner adjacent to the structure, we want to replace on Ivy Lake Road. She would like us to move the structure further to the east and move the ditches on the west side closer to the road. The structures probably can’t be moved further east. Might be able to move ditches closer to the road. I think it is too late in the year to start construction because I don’t want the roadway to be closed all winter. Will probably go out for bids this fall and do construction next year.
- Received a call from the resident at the end of Woodside Drive. He said a large sinkhole developed in his yard. It is directly above one of our storm sewers. I am having Hoerr Construction televise the storm sewer to identify the problem. Will probably have them line this storm sewer.
- The State finally raised our bidding threshold from $20k to $30k.
- The new bridge on Dickinson Road is scheduled to be opened this week.
Assessor: Mark Brabant – No report.
Plan Commission: Has one case pending.
Township/Road District Bills:
Cindy made a motion to pay the bills of the township. Mike seconded the motion. The motion was approved by a unanimous voice vote.
The fill at the adjoining property which is potential site for township office necessitated a silt fence. Stark installed silt fence for $2,693.25. Supporting documents were presented and reviewed. Supervisor Garner made a motion to pay the invoice for $2,693.25. Cam seconded the motion. A roll call vote was taken: Shawn – Aye, Cindy – Aye, Mike – Aye, Cam -Aye. The motion carries.
Mike made a motion to adjourn, and Cam seconded it. The motion passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 6:34 pm.
Respectfully submitted this 12th day of July, 2023
Shawn Garner, Supervisor