The Medina Township Board of Trustees Monthly Meeting
Wednesday, August 10, 2022
Purpose: Regularly Scheduled Board Meeting
Present: Shawn Garner, Supervisor
Cam Parr, Trustee
Cindy Greene, Trustee
Mike Molohon, Trustee
Frank Gerke, Trustee
Mary Sundermeyer, Clerk
Other Officials and Township Staff Present:
Frank Sturm II, Road Commissioner
Mark Brabant, Assessor
Deputy Ben Davison, Community Police
Others In Attendance: 2 Residents
Call To Order: Supervisor Shawn Garner called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm
Approval of Minutes: Clerk Mary Sundermeyer presented the minutes from the regular board meeting held on July 13, 2022. Cam Parr made a motion to approve the minutes. Cindy Greene seconded. The minutes were approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Community Policing Report:
Deputy Ben Davison gave the report for June. There were 60 reports made involving 27 crimes.
Public Input: None
Old Business: None
We received a grant request from the Community Needs Agency for $1000 in order to help with school supplies and backpacks for low–income families in the IVC school district. We have budgeted money for this. Shawn Garner made a motion to grant this request. It was seconded by Cam Parr. The motion was approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Shawn Garner made a motion to add the Caterpillar Financial Services annual payment to Appendix A for automatic payment. Cam Parr seconded. The motion passed by a unanimous voice vote.
A Noise Ordinance is being considered for Medina Township. Several aspects of this ordinance were discussed including: hours when excessive noise is prohibited, what constitutes “excessive noise”, how can the Deputy enforce complaints, will there need to be a complaining witness in order to ticket, should we consider fireworks and burning along with the noise ordinance and other issues. The board will look at other townships that already have a Noise Ordinance and get some legal advise before moving further with this.
Supervisor Shawn Garner:
- Investment Report: the report ending on August 10, 2022 was previously presented to the board.
- Virginia Love of Hjerpe & Tennison is still conducting the annual audit for Medina Township. Shawn will put her report on the Agenda for the September Board Meeting.
- There is one claim for General Assistance as of August 10, 2022 that is being paid.
- Green space mowing at the end of Hendryx Pl is being completed as standing water issues permit.
Road Commissioner: Frank Sturm:
- Hoerr Construction did get a portion of the televising work done on the drains on Fairview and in the park. The line was full of roots and mud. They will have to dig down to the pipe that was added to drain/keep the fields dry (a 6” perforated plastic drain tile). They will have to replace it with a solid wall pipe and rock drain field around it. They will complete the televising work next week.
- A bid opening was held this morning for lining the storm sewer off Broadview Ct in Cedar Bluffs Estates. Three bids were received and opened. Hoerr Construction was the low bid at $22,515.00.
- RA Cullinan completed the tilling on Singing Woods Rd and Riverview. The A-2 sealcoat is scheduled for later this month. They also milled State St and Brentfield Dr. It will be primed and paved tomorrow.
- One of the highway crew is retiring at the end of the year. Needs a class A CDL. The new employee must have a Class A CDL or the ability to obtain one. Due to recent changes, these are expensive to get. With a class B CDL, 4 weeks of classroom training is required. Without that license, 8 weeks of classroom training is required. It will effect who we can hire and we may have to have the employee sign an Employment Agreement.
Assessor: Mark Brabant – No report
Plan Commission: Jim Manning – No report
Trustees: – No report
Township/Road District Bills:
All bills of the Town and Road District were reviewed and approved for payment. Shawn Garner made a motion to pay all of the bills. Cam Parr seconded the motion. The motion was approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Mike Molohon made the motion to adjourn and Cindy Greene seconded it. The motion passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 6:55 pm.
Respectfully submitted this 11th day of August, 2022
Mary Sundermeyer, Clerk