The Medina Township Board of Trustees Monthly Meeting
Wednesday, July 13, 2022
Purpose: Regularly Scheduled Board Meeting
Present: Shawn Garner, Supervisor
Cam Parr, Trustee
Cindy Greene, Trustee
Mike Molohon, Trustee
Frank Gerke, Trustee
Mary Sundermeyer, Clerk
Other Officials and Township Staff Present:
Frank Sturm II, Road Commissioner
Mark Brabant, Assessor
Deputy Ben Davison, Community Police
Others In Attendance: 1 Resident
Call To Order: Supervisor Shawn Garner called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm
Approval of Minutes: Clerk Mary Sundermeyer presented the minutes from the regular board meeting held on June 8, 2022. There was one correction. Cam Parr made a motion to approve the minutes as corrected. Cindy Greene seconded. The minutes were approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Community Policing Report:
Deputy Ben Davison gave the report for June. There were 60 reports made involving 27 crimes. Crimes include aggravated battery, domestic battery, forgery, possession of a stolen vehicle, possession of a controlled substance and arson. They will start a third shift bike patrol. A discussion was held on golf carts, dirt bikes and ATV on public roadways. A scooter is to be treated like a bicycle and requires a state ID.
Public Input: None
Old Business: None
We received one Park Agreement from Mossville Jr. High School. Frank Gerke made a motion to accept this agreement and Mike Molohon seconded. The agreement was approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Supervisor Shawn Garner:
- Investment Report: the report ending on July 13, 2022 was previously presented to the board.
- Virginia Love of Hjerpe & Tennison is proceeding with the annual audit for Medina Township. Shawn will put her report on the Agenda for the September Board Meeting.
- There is one claim for General Assistance as of July 13, 2022 that is being paid.
- TOI is offering some good training classes. Board members can review and sign up for the classes they would find helpful and be reimbursed.
Road Commissioner: Frank Sturm:
- Frank received a bid from Hoerr Construction to plan some televising, cleaning and investigation work on the drains on Fairview and in the park. The bid came to $3066.00. Frank has accepted the bid and the work will start next week.
- The overbilling from Frontier has been resolved by Frontier issuing a credit of $2000 for the 6 months we did not have service. This issue of theirs took 16 months to resolve.
- The 2022 Pavement Maintenance plan was put out for bid. One company bid and came in a bit over the estimated amount as construction prices continue to increase. The bid was awarded to RA Cullinan for $358,531.77. The plan includes Brentfield Dr, Singing Woods, Riverview Dr, State St, Cavalier and Rene.
- Spray patching is being done on Cavalier and Rene in preparation for seal coating.
- Horowitz Concrete had to leave for another job for a few weeks but will finish later this summer or fall.
- Frank has received a few complaints about “non-highway” vehicles traveling on subdivision streets to include ATV’s, 4 Wheelers, golf carts and electric scooters.
- Prior to 1985, Cline Rd from Cedar Hills Dr to Singing Woods Rd was a Radnor Township road. After 1985, it became a Medina Township road and as such, Frank has been maintaining it. Frank wants to see the jurisdictional transfer agreement regarding this. Mary Sundermeyer will look into this.
- IDOT will work on the Rt 6 overpass for Mossville Rd and the road will be closed for about 6 weeks in late 2022 or early 2023.
- The federal government is working on expanding Broadband access to the rural areas. Most of these areas exist without a right of way. The companies doing this work come to the township for permission but the township does not own a right a way. These must be granted permission by the homeowners. This makes the progress slow. The Farm Bureau, TOI and The IL association of County Engineers have worked together to come up with a Utility Permit template for the Road Districts to use.
Assessor: Mark Brabant – No report
Plan Commission: Jim Manning – No cases
Trustees: Mike Molohon would like to consider a noise ordinance for Medina Township. Can we research some other townships that have the ordinances already and then come up with a plan? Shawn Garner will get some examples of noise ordinances that other townships are using so we can discuss this further at the next meeting.
Township/Road District Bills:
All bills of the Town and Road District were reviewed and approved for payment. Shawn Garner made a motion to pay all of the bills except for the late fee from Caterpillar for $1441.97. Cam Parr seconded the motion. The motion was approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Mike Molohon made the motion to adjourn and Cindy Greene seconded it. The motion passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 6:56 pm.
Respectfully submitted this 13th day of July, 2022
Mary Sundermeyer, Clerk