The Medina Township Board of Trustees Monthly Meeting
Wednesday, August 9, 2023
Purpose: Regularly Scheduled Board Meeting
Present: Shawn Garner, Supervisor
Cam Parr, Trustee
Cindy Greene, Trustee
Mike Molohon, Trustee
Luke Harvey, Trustee
Mary Sundermeyer, Clerk
Other Officials and Township Staff Present:
Frank Sturm II, Road Commissioner
Deputy Ben Davison
Others In Attendance: 0 Residents
Call To Order: Supervisor Garner called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm
Approval of Minutes: Clerk Sundermeyer presented the minutes from the regular board meeting held on July 12, 2023. Luke Harvey made a motion to approve the minutes. Cindy Greene seconded. The minutes were approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Community Policing Report:
Deputy Ben Davison gave the report for July 2023. There were 76 reports made involving 40 reports of crimes (27 original crimes). There were also 39 traffic stops made. Kids from other areas are traveling to Medina this summer and checking for unlocked cars to rob. Please remember to lock your vehicles.
Public Input: None
Old Business: None
Consider, discuss, and vote on grant application from Veterans Helping Veterans: We received a grant request from “Veterans Helping Veterans” in the amount of $1,000. This organization is not in good standing with the State. Shawn will communicate this to them and ask them to resubmit their application after these issues are fixed.
Consider, discuss, and vote on bid for sump pump drain line at Media Township Park:
A proposal for the sump drain line for $28,640 from PIPCO was discussed. No bid was required for this work. Shawn made a motion to accept the bid for the sump pump drain line at the park. Cam Parr seconded. A roll call vote was taken: Shawn – Aye; Luke – Aye; Cam – Aye; Cindy – Aye; Mike Molohon – Aye. The motion passed.
Consider, discuss, and vote on bid for pavement overlay repairs at Medina Township Park:
Tazewell County Asphalt Co. was the low bidder for this work at $216,226. The bid was less than the Road Commissioner had estimated. Mike made a motion to accept the bid and go forward with this work. Cam seconded. A roll call vote was taken: Luke – Aye; Shawn – Aye; Cindy – Aye; Cam – Aye; Mike – Aye. The motion passed.
Supervisor Shawn Garner:
- Investment Report: the report ending on August 9 was previously presented to the board.
- There are no General Assistance cases.
- There are no cases before the Plan Commission.
Road Commissioner: Frank Sturm
- Held a bid opening for the overlay and seal coating of the ballpark, parking lot and access road. R.A. Cullinan was the low bid on seal coating/tilling work and Tazewell County Asphalt Co.was the low bid on the overlay work.
- There will be a bid opening for the 2023 Misc. Concrete work and repairs on 8/23. The proposed work will be on Shoreline and Brookview Ct.
- Did some spray patching in various locations.
- Installed several culverts this summer and are continuing to install more.
- Hoerr Construction will be doing the re-lining of a storm sewer on Woodside Drive this week or next. Additional work will be needed after the pipe is lined. The estimate for this repair is just under $23,000 so no bidding is required.
- The crew has been preparing the leaf vac machines on rainy days.
- Two dry wells in Cedar Hills Estates have been vacuumed out by Hunter Hydro Vac but they are still not draining. We may need to replace them.
- Ordered and received a post driver which is used to install street signs. This will be much safer.
Assessor: Mark Brabant – the assessment letters start going out to homeowners next week. This is a 3 year general assessment and values are expected to increase 7-10%.
Plan Commission: no cases pending.
Township/Road District Bills:
Mike made a motion to pay the bills of the township. Cindy seconded the motion. The motion was approved by a unanimous voice vote.
Mike made a motion to adjourn, and Cindy seconded it. The motion passed unanimously. The meeting was adjourned at 6:24 pm.
Respectfully submitted this 9th day of August, 2023 , Mary Sundermeyer, Clerk